All member portraits and profiles are screened by real people for appropriateness before being posted to the site. That includes making sure that the portrait and profile do not include any specific identifying information. In addition, all communication between members is done through Geek 2 Geek's double-blind email system, with members using an anonymous display name and not their real email address. This ensures that no personal contact information is revealed until a member is ready to do so.
· This policy covers how Geek 2 Geek treats personal information that Geek 2 Geek collects and receives, including information related to your past use of Geek 2 Geek products and services. Personal information is information about you that is personally identifiable like your name, address, email address, or phone number, and that is not otherwise publicly available.
· This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that Geek 2 Geek does not own or control, or to people that Geek 2 Geek does not employ or manage.
Information Collection and Use
- Geek 2 Geek collects personal information when you register with Geek 2 Geek, when you use Geek 2 Geek products or services, when you visit Geek 2 Geek pages or the pages of certain Geek 2 Geek partners, when you participate in any polls, and when you enter any promotions or sweepstakes. Geek 2 Geek may combine information about you that we have with information we obtain from business partners or other companies.
- When you register we ask for information such as your name, email address, birth date, gender, ZIP code, occupation, industry, and personal interests. When you register with Geek 2 Geek and sign in to our services, you are not totally anonymous to us.
- Geek 2 Geek automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, Geek 2 Geek cookie information, and the page you request.
- Geek 2 Geek uses information for the following general purposes: to customize the advertising and content you see, fulfill your requests for products and services, improve our services, contact you, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.
- Children under 18 are not allowed to register with Geek 2 Geek. Any profile suspected to have been created by a person under 18 is deleted.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Geek 2 Geek does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies except to provide products or services you've requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with Geek 2 Geek under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use your personal information to help Geek 2 Geek communicate with you about offers from Geek 2 Geek and our marketing partners. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
- We respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
Geek 2 Geek may display targeted advertisements based on personal information. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view, or click targeted ads meet the targeting criteria—for example, women ages 18-24 from a particular geographic area.
- Geek 2 Geek does not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted ad. However, by interacting with or viewing an ad you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
- Geek 2 Geek advertisers may include financial service providers (such as banks, insurance agents, stock brokers and mortgage lenders) and non-financial companies (such as stores, airlines, and software companies).
- Google's use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to users based on their visit to our sites and other sites on the Internet.
Your Ability to Edit and Delete Your Account Information and Preferences
- You can edit your Geek 2 Geek Account Information, including your marketing preferences, at any time.
- You can delete your Geek 2 Geek account by visiting your Account page.
Confidentiality and Security
- We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to protect personal information about you.
- Geek 2 Geek may update this policy. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your Geek 2 Geek account or by placing a prominent notice on our site.
Questions and Suggestions
If you have questions or suggestions, please contact us.
Effective Date: March 13, 2009